(See schedule of upcoming events on the right)
Check out Collin SBDC’s free business training, offered in Plano, TX, that covers important topics such as financial statements, operations management, succession planning and competitive analysis.
Accounting & Tax Issues of a Small Business
Are the accounting and tax issues of your small business overwhelming? Do you find information on the internet is confusing and misleading? This class will address:
- Identify business entity (sole proprietorship, limited liability company (LLC) and corporation) and their benefits and costs
- Tax deductions available to business owners
- Recordkeeping requirements to manage your business
- What to look for when hiring a bookkeeper or accountant to assist the business
- Understanding and using financial statements as a tool to measure business performance
This is an orientation to government contracting at the federal, state and local level. Our experts help remove the intimidation factor, confusion and complexity and show you how to succeed in government contracting. Orientation topics include:
- Government bid process
- Determining right point of entry
- Benefits of minority certification
- Covers all government entities from city to federal
- Individualized follow-up counseling is available to attendees at no charge
Healthcare Reform Update
If you are a small to mid-sized employer, what compliance issues will you be facing on the road ahead? What health options will be offered through the exchanges? What do you need to know now?
How to Fund Your Small Business
This class is a comprehensive overview of the different funding options available for your small business and the qualifications for each. This class will cover:
- Sources of funding
- Lender requirements
- Other funding considerations
How to Start a Small Business
It’s back to basics! If you want to start a business but don’t know where to begin, then this class is for you. This class will address many of the questions you should ask yourself before beginning the process of starting a new business.
- Why start a small business?
- What are your goals?
- What are your strengths?
- How do you work?
The workshop will also cover the process of starting the business and:
- Analyze feasibility of your idea
- Prepare a business plan
- Determine the best operations management system
- Find sources of capital
- Create competitive analysis
IRS Small Business Tax Workshop
Do you know your small business tax responsibilities? This workshop is designed as an awareness seminar to inform business owners of their tax obligations. Tax information for each of the small business structures is provided along with a review of independent contractors versus employees, and an introduction to tax forms required from a small business.
Legal Aspects of Running a Business
Wondering whether you should have employees or independent contractors? How much and how often should you pay your employees? How do you protect your business assets?
This class will address:
- Hiring and firing practices
- Independent contractor vs. employee
- Paying employees – salaried vs. hourly
- Confidentiality and non-competes
- Employee handbooks
- Policies on technology use
- Succession planning
Legal Aspects of Starting a Business
Thinking of starting a business but don’t know where to start? Confused by all the different types of entities you could form for your business and wondering which type will be best? This class will address:
- How to effectively work with your attorney (and save $$$ doing it)
- Choice of entity & documents required
- Minimizing liability
- Assumed names (Doing Business As: DBA)
- Financing the business – loans, angels & VC’s
- Intellectual property – trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets & patents
Protecting Your Business
If you have recently started your business or are thinking of starting your own business and have never shopped for business insurance, then this is the class for you. What you don’t know about insurance can and will hurt you. Come learn the simple actions you must take to avoid the most common pitfalls that threaten your business.
- Risk Management 101
- Insure or not to insure? What should be considered before shopping for business insurance.
- 10 Most Common Small Business Insurance Blunders
- How to effectively work with your agent (and save $$$ doing it)How to effectively work with your agent (and save $$$ doing it)
Protecting Your Business 201
Do you already own a small to mid-sized business and think you “have it all covered?” What you don’t know about insurance can and will hurt you. Come learn the simple actions you must take to avoid the most common pitfalls that threaten your business.
- You Don’t Know, What You Don’t Know – Insurance Trends and Legislative Updates that Will Impact Your Business
- 10 Most Common Business Insurance Blunders
- Effective strategies that save $$$ on insurance
- Get your questions answered